Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Duelo/Duel by Edimilson de Almeida Pereira

Some beauty for a Wednesday: Here is my newest attempt at translating a poem by a Brazilian poet whose work I admire greatly and whom I've translated before, Edimilson de Almeida Pereira (1963-). The poem, "Duelo," comes from his collection Lugares Ares: obra poética 2 (Belo Horizonte: Mazza Edições Ltd., 2003). A native of the university city of Juiz de Fora (Minas Gerais, Brazil), where he's a professor, Pereira is one of the most prolific and important Afro/Brazilian poets writing today. He's also a great correspondent. I chose this poem not only because it's so resonant in its simplicity, but also for my friend and fellow poet Reggie H., who is writing a wonderful series of poems on boxers and boxing.
__________

DUELO

Circulo o corpo
sem nome.

Os vidros brilham,
nada sei, nada capto.

Mas é silêncio,

oferecido, o ringue.


--Edimilson de Almeida Pereira, Copyright, 2003-2005.

DUEL

I circle the nameless
body.

Glasses are shining,
I know nothing, catch nothing.

But it is silence,
offered up, the ring.

--Translation by John Keene (2005)

_____
Any suggestions on improving the translation are welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Obrigado meu irmão!

    Wonderful poem! I so look forward to YOUR book of translations and other wonders...

    ReplyDelete