Monday, July 24, 2006

Sports Bar SDQ Closes

C alerted me to some sad news that Anthony posted today on his Monaga blog: David Lee has decided to close the Sports Bar, on Calle Palo Hincado in Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone, one of the highlights of any visit to the DR. (David explains the bar's closing here.) C and I both always looked forward to dropping in and saying hello to him, and spending time at this very welcoming space when we were visiting. The low-key, friendly atmosphere, conviviality of the patrons, the mix of Dominican, Caribbean and US hits, and the hum of conversations, in Spanish, English, Spanglish and non-verbal gestures, are all memories I'll cherish. When I visited SD this past spring for the International Book Fair, I actually had the opportunity to have brunch with and just hang out with David, and the experience confirmed for me what a lovely person he is. I'll definitely miss this spot tremendously, as I know C and so many others who've spent time in SD will. We thank David for having opened this wonderful space and for having persevered with it, against the odds. We also definitely wish him the best in whatever he does next and look forward to seeing him in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Dear J & C, thank you both and everyone for your kind words. David Lee

    ReplyDelete